Sunday , June 10, 2018 - 12:00 AM
From challenging school projects to favorite movies and music, we want to know what today’s teens are all about.
And who better to write about the high school experience than Northern Utah’s high school students?
We’re looking for teenagers to write stories, take photos and draw illustrations for our weekly TX. teen section, which appears in print and online in the Standard-Examiner.
If you’d like to sound off on life from the teen perspective, whether’s it a new fad or a hot political debate, our Sunday TX. section is the place for you. Here are the details on how to join our 2018-2019 TX. staff.
All TX. staffers must be
• Sophomores, juniors or seniors, ages 15-18.
• Residents of Davis, Weber, Box Elder or Morgan counties.
• Able to attend staff meetings at the Standard-Examiner at 4 p.m. on the third Wednesday of each month.
• Able to meet deadlines.
Every applicant must send:
1. Name, address, phone number, age, email address, high school and grade attending this fall.
2. An essay, of 200 to 400 words, explaining why you want to be part of TX. Don’t be shy — tell us why you would be our staff’s best writer, photographer or illustrator.
3. A statement from your parent(s) or guardian with permission to work for TX. (if you are under 18).
Also, please send these additional items for the type of work you are interested in. You may apply for more than one position.
1. One sample TX. article — a new, original story that you’d like to write for the section. It can be a feature story, opinion column, movie or CD review, concert review or any topic that you think teens would like to read about.
2. One more sample of your writing. This can be a second TX. sample story, or an article from a school newspaper or a school writing assignment from any class. DO NOT send poetry.
3. Three ideas of topics or events that you could possibly write about or cover during the coming year.
Applicants should send six (6) photo samples with their applications, either print or digital photos (which will not be returned). If you have experience shooting video, or would like to try creating video content for TX., tell us about your qualifications or interest in that as well.
Photography applicants may also be asked to come in for a personal interview, in which case you should plan to bring in a portfolio of your work and your camera equipment (digital cameras are preferred). We will call to set up an interview if it is necessary.
1. Send two (2) color samples of your work (samples will not be returned) with your application. Teen-oriented illustrations will catch our attention. Finalists will be notified by phone and may be asked to do a sample assignment or come in for an interview with a portfolio of their work.
All work created for the TX. section is voluntary. Please mail your application and other items specified to:
TX. — Becky Cairns
332 S. Standard Way
P.O. Box 12790
Ogden, UT 84412-2790
Applications must be postmarked or turned in at our office by July 18. Students who are selected will be notified by Aug. 24 and begin attending staff meetings on Sept. 19.
For more information, email email@example.com or call editor Becky Cairns at 801-791-3170. To see or read our TX. section online, visit www.standard.net.
Sign up for e-mail news updates.